Peru’s Hidden Treasures: A Sustainable Journey on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
Step into the heart of Peruvian heritage on the ‘Inca Trail Essence‘ tour, a 4-day expedition blending adventure with cultural immersion. Starting in Cusco, this tour takes you on the historic Inca Trail, a path that winds through the ancient Sacred Valley. Experience the raw beauty of the Andes and unravel the mysteries of Inca civilization. Your trek is punctuated by visits to fascinating Inca sites, each a testament to the ingenuity of this ancient culture. The ultimate reward is the arrival at Machu Picchu, the lost city of the Incas, where you’ll witness sunrise over the ruins — a moment that transcends time. This small-group tour is designed with sustainability in mind, ensuring minimal environmental impact and fostering genuine connections with local communities.
- Cusco’s Cultural Mosaic: Begin your adventure in Cusco, a city rich in Inca and Spanish heritage. Delve into its vibrant streets and discover a fusion of historical cultures.
- Sacred Valley Wonders: Traverse the Sacred Valley, encountering ancient Inca ruins and lush landscapes that echo the valley’s timeless allure.
- Inca Trail Majesty: Embrace the challenge of the Inca Trail, a 43-kilometer trek through diverse terrains, leading to the majestic Machu Picchu.
- Machu Picchu Sunrise: Experience the unforgettable sight of sunrise over Machu Picchu, entering the iconic site through the celebrated Sun Gate.
- Sustainable and Intimate: This small-group tour emphasizes sustainable travel, offering a responsible and intimate way to explore Peru’s Inca heritage.
Day 1: Begin the Inca Trail – Km 82 to Huayllabamba
Start your journey with a transfer to Km 82, the official beginning of the Inca Trail. Trek through stunning landscapes, passing small settlements and ancient ruins, to reach the campsite at Huayllabamba. This first day is a gentle introduction to the trail, offering a mix of Andean and sub-tropical scenery.
Day 2: Trek to Paqaymayu – Crossing the Highest Point
The second day is the most challenging, as you ascend to the highest point of the trek, the Dead Woman’s Pass at 4,215 meters. The effort is rewarded with panoramic views of the Andes, before descending to the campsite at Paqaymayu. This day truly tests your endurance but offers an unparalleled sense of accomplishment.
Day 3: Descend into the Cloud Forest – Paqaymayu to Wiñayhuayna
On the third day, you’ll descend into the mystical cloud forest. Witness the change in the ecosystem as you trek through lush greenery and past several Inca sites, including the beautiful Phuyupatamarca. The destination for the day is Wiñayhuayna, an impressive Inca complex with terraced ruins.
Day 4: Sun Gate and Machu Picchu
The final day begins before dawn. Hike to the Sun Gate (Intipunku), where you’ll catch the first breathtaking glimpse of Machu Picchu in the soft morning light. Descend to the ancient city for a guided tour, exploring its iconic ruins and learning about its historical significance. This final day encapsulates the magical experience of the Inca Trail, leaving you with memories to last a lifetime.
Prices for this trip
|GROUP TOUR PRICE
|US$ 890 per person
Includes and excludes on the Inca Trail
- The clients will receive a briefing the night before the trek.
- Pick up from the hotel and transfer to Km. 82 (starting point of the trail).
- Entrance fees to Inca Trail and Machu Picchu (but not Huayna Picchu Mountain).
- Personal tents accommodate two persons each, allowing for more comfort and secure bag storage. Our tents are 4-season and highly maintained to ensure excellent performance on the field.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs. Kitchen tent.
- Toilet tent with bio-degradable toilet facilities.
- English-speaking tour leader plus an assistant guide for groups of over eight trekkers
- Chef and cooking equipment.
- Porters (to carry tents, food, and cooking equipment)
- Meals (3 breakfast, 3-lunches, three dinners + daily morning snack + daily tea service except for last day). Vegetarian or special diets are available at no extra cost.
- A cloth bag for everyday snacks saves plastic bags and decreases waste.
- We will provide boiled water from lunchtime on the first day.
- Bio-degradable personal hand soaps.
- Our kitchen staff uses bio-degradable dishwashing detergents.
- Hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes / boiled water to fill in the water bottle every morning, night, and lunchtime.
- We bring a first-aid kit, including an emergency oxygen bottle.
- Bus ticket from Machu Picchu ruins down to the village of Aguas Calientes.
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo or Poroy (Expedition train or similar) according to availability – we can upgrade to Vistadome service upon request.
- Transfer from Poroy or Cusco train station to Cusco Hotel.
- 24-hour support by our local staff.
- The price does not cover domestic or international flights. Consult a travel agency if necessary.
- VISA procedures, travel insurance, pre, and post-tour accommodation.
- Additional personal costs (alcoholic beverages, laundry).
- The price does not cover gratuities for tour guides, drivers, and support staff.
- Guidance in another language (Germany, French, others), in case you request them, please ask your travel agent.
- Additional items are not included explicitly in the itinerary description.
- Entrance fee to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain.
- Breakfast on the first day.
- Entrance fee to the Aguas Calientes thermal springs.
- Sleeping bag.
- Each individual should bring an inflatable sleeping mat.
- Personal porter for personal equipment 7kg (15lbs)
- Lunch on the last day after visiting Machu Picchu.
Trip code: CITM4D01-GR