- Tour Plan
- Similar Tours
This Salkantay trek is perfect for tourists who wish to absorb the magnificent remains of Machu Picchu. Salkantay trek has been voted recently by National Geographic as the Most Beautiful Trek in the world! We will get a chance to navigate through breathtaking green valleys and traverse through the snow-capped Salkantay Mountain. Salkantay trek is open for everyone and is a popular alternative to the trek of Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. If you have experienced the outdoors and are strong enough, you might like the Salkantay Trek, which includes a 3-day trek after which the fourth day can be spent in Machu Picchu.
- 24 hour support by our local staff
- Accommodation in Hotel with breakfast included
- Accommodation in personal tents (camping)
- All entrance fees and excursions mentioned in the itinerary
- All ground transportation
- All transfers airport, train station or bus station transfers, Hotel pickup and drop-off
- All transfers are assisted by English speaking staff
- Guided tours by local quality English speaking guides
- Meals: According mentioned in the itinerary (vegetarian or special diets are available)
- Train tickets
- Anything not specified in the itinerary description
- Domestic flight tickets
- Entrance fee to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain
- Guidance in other languages
- International flight tickets
- Other expenses of a personal nature (alcoholic beverages, laundry, etc.)
- Sleeping bag
- Tips for guides, drivers and other staff
- VISA procedures, travel insurance, pre and post tour accommodation
- Walking sticks
- The Ultimate Salkantay Trek Adventure to a Legendary Lost City Machu Picchu.
- Trek to Salkantay Mountain and visit the Machu Picchu citadel.
- Camp high in the Andean mountains during Salkantay trek.
- Hike in the footsteps of the Incas and visit incredible Machu Picchu.
- Explore magnificent Machu Picchu, with an overnight in Aguas Calientes.
PRICES PER PERSON (*)
- 1 person = US$ 1,669
- 2 people = US$ 1,026
- 3 people = US$ 892
- 4 people = US$ 825
- 5 to 6 people = US$ 763
- 7 to 8 people = US$ 696
- More than 9 people = US$ 661
- Prices per person in US dollars.
- The price for one person is based on a single room.
- Prices are based on the number of people traveling together in double, twin or triple room.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS TOUR PACKAGE
|Travel style||PRIVATE TOUR|
|Type of activities||Hiking & Trekking.|
|Group size||To suit group requirements.|
|Departure dates||Guaranteed departures any day with one person. Departures are available along the year although due to weather conditions, the recommended period for this trek is April to November.|
|Trekking grade||Moderate to strenuous – this trek requires a medium level of fitness. During this trek you will be required to walk up to 5 to 8 hours in one day. Some previous experience is required. Minimum 2 days at altitude recommended.|
|Min age||10+ All travelers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.|
Private tour means, the tour will run exclusively for you without strangers with private guide, vehicle and driver are for your exclusive use; no matter you are individually, or in a family or friends group.
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
Transport to Marcoccasa, Hike to Soraypampa & Humantay Lagoon
- Start off by leaving the Hotel in the morning at 05:00am and travel by our private transport to Mollepata town an amazing 3 hours; our convoy will stop at the town of Mollepata (2,803m/9,196ft) and take a break for about an hour so that people can have breakfast.
- We can see magnificent views of the chains of snowcapped Vilcabamba, the colorful village of Mollepata and the lush Apurimac River Valley. After 45 minutes we arrive to our trailhead of Salkantay Trek in Marcoccasa (3,600m/11,811ft) where we get to meet our Arrieros “horsemen“; we start the hike around 10:00am. We start trekking with a slow climb of 250 meters for approximately 2 and a half hour through an immaculate Andean valley landscape before arriving to Soraypampa (3,800m/12,467ft) where we spend the night.
- Optional: around 14:00pm we take an acclimatization hike on the slopes above campsite to Humantay Lagoon, fed by the hanging glaciers of Mt. Humantay (4,200m/13,780ft), but the views are amazing, and those brave enough can even go for a dip.
- We return to our campsite for dinner.
- Overnight in camp.
- Meals Included: Lunch, Dinner.
Soraypampa to Collpapampa (Crossing the Salkantay Pass)
- Our Salkantay trek will begin after breakfast with a moderate climb of about 3.5 hours until we arrive at Abra Huayracmachay (4,638m/15,216ft). We can admire the breathtaking views of the second highest peak of Cusco from this place.
- We can even see the amazing snowcapped Mountain of Salkantay (6,264m/20,551ft) and the snowcapped mountains of Huayanay and Humantay, small lakes, moraines and white river.
- You can carry a piece of rock from the bottom and leave it at Abra Salkantay as a present to that place (in the Inca age, walkers used to leave their shoes, jewels and clothes or just a piece of rock as an offering).
- We resume our walk downhill for 2 hours and then stop to have our lunch at Huayracmachay (3,850m/12,631ft). We start descending from here towards a supposed cloud forest where climate is more tropical. The descent along the Salkantay River is long but easy and we reach our second camp in late afternoon at Collpapampa (2,890m/9,481ft). Here we will camp for the night and have a well-deserved dinner.
- The camp is near a natural pool of hot spring where we can enjoy and rest the night after a challenging day.
- Overnight in camp.
- Meals Included: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.
Hike from Colpapampa to La Playa – Aguas Calientes
- Breakfast, we will begin our trek this is the third day of the trek and is slightly relaxed than the rest. However, it is full of spectacular views and chances to appreciate the intriguing wildlife that populates this region. You will commence your hike after breakfast alongside the pleasing Santa Teresa River banks. You will be able to look at coffee, banana and avocado plantations on the way and also the local flora. You can appreciate the vegetation change which becomes increasingly lusher and greener. Today, we resume our Salkantay Trek with a simple walk along the banks of the Santa Teresa River. We will be able to see the famous bird known as “Cock of the Rocks”, if we are lucky. You will arrive at your La Playa (2,100m/6,890ft) where we have our lunch.
- After lunch we take local public transportation to hydroelectric train station (journey takes around 1 hour and 30 minutes); then take train at 16:45pm for about one hour and 15 minutes to the town of Aguas Calientes (2,000m/6,561ft). At the Aguas Calientes Hotel, dinner and a comfortable bed will await us.
- Overnight at the Hotel in Aguas Calientes.
- Meals Included: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.
Visit Machu Picchu & Back to Cusco
- Breakfast at the hotel; at 06:00am take first bus to Machu Picchu citadel, you will ride a bus to Machu Picchu archeological site (2,430m/7,972ft) and tour every nook and cranny of this New 7 Wonder of the World and UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site: an unforgettable experience. Your guide will expertly direct you throughout the astounding ruins and its main streets.
- Around 07:30am the guided tour begins, your guide will expertly direct you throughout the astounding ruins and its main streets. You can then wander around the town squares as well as climb the intricately carved stairways made of stone. Machu Picchu is considered to be the world’s spiritual center by esoteric wisdom.
- From 10:30am to 12:00pm once the guided tour is over, you will have some free time to explore the site on your own, relax, or meditate.
- From 12:30pm to 13:30pm take bus to Aguas Calientes.
- From 13:30pm to 15:00pm take lunch at local restaurant in Aguas Calientes.
- Return to Cusco: later board the train for the return trip to Cusco. You will stop at the Ollantaytambo Station and then be picked up and driven to your hotel in Cusco.
- Meals Included: Breakfast, Lunch.