- Tour Plan
- Similar Tours
The Rainbow Mountain, officially named Vinicunca is a stunning and a bucket list destination for many. This colorful mountain, seen from high above, is magical with its geological formations revealing their entire splendor, in contrast with the blue sky set behind it. This trek will satisfy the most demanding and undeniably create unforgettable memories: splendid panoramas of the high mountain, formidable glaciers and crystalline rivers, turquoise lakes, peaceful pastoral scenes of herds of alpacas tended to by Andeans wearing multi-colored, traditional clothing. This new route, apart from the beaten path, is an authentic adventure through naturally preserved and wild lands, where your only meetings you will make will be with Vinicunca or Rainbow Mountain, the colorful mountain and those small communities of Quechua peasants who exploit the vast wide offerings of the Altiplano.
- 24 hour support by our local staff
- Accommodation in personal tents (camping)
- All entrance fees and excursions mentioned in the itinerary
- All ground transportation
- All transfers are assisted by English speaking staff
- Guided tours by local quality English speaking guides
- Meals: According mentioned in the itinerary (vegetarian or special diets are available)
- Anything not specified in the itinerary description
- Domestic flight tickets
- Guidance in other languages
- International flight tickets
- Other expenses of a personal nature (alcoholic beverages, laundry, etc.)
- Sleeping bag
- Tips for guides, drivers and other staff
- VISA procedures, travel insurance, pre and post tour accommodation
- Walking sticks
- Interaction with traditional Andean people and their culture.
- Peaceful, pastoral scenes of herds of llamas and alpacas.
- Consistent views of the gorgeous Ausangate.
- Observation of nature´s offerings such as turquoise lakes, crystalline rivers, and glaciers.
- Panoramic views and detailed explanation of the wonderful Rainbow Mountain!
PRICES PER PERSON (*)
- 1 person = US$ 850
- 2 people = US$ 450
- 3 people = US$ 349
- 4 people = US$ 297
- 5 to 6 people = US$ 269
- 7 to 8 people = US$ 234
- More than 9 people = US$ 213
* Prices per person in US dollars.
* Price are based on the number of people traveling together.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS TOUR PACKAGE
|Travel style||PRIVATE TOUR|
|Type of activities||Hiking & Trekking, Adventure, Cultural.|
|Group size||To suit group requirements.|
|Departure dates||Guaranteed departures any day with one person. Departures are available along the year although due to weather conditions, the recommended period for this trek is April to November.|
|Trekking grade||Moderate – you need to be in good health and reasonably fit. A walking day would normally be between 5 to 7 hours long. Some previous experience is required. Minimum 2 days at altitude recommended.|
|Min age||10+ All travelers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.|
Private tour means, the tour will run exclusively for you without strangers with private guide, vehicle and driver are for your exclusive use; no matter you are individually, or in a family or friends group.
- Day 1
- Day 2
Transport to Quesiuno, Hike to Surine Lagoon
- You will be picked up from your hotel at 07:00am and set out on a drive through the South Valley. The drive to the trailhead at Quesiuno (4,326m/14,189ft) is 3 hours and 30 minutes long. Along the way you will stop at the town of Checacupe to check out part of the Inca Bridge and the functioning colonial bridge from XII century.
- Upon arrival to the head of the trail, we will load all the gear on the horses and begin our hike uphill. Following a lovely stream, you will be immediately surprised by the prominent herds of alpacas and llamas, as well as consistent views of the Ausangate Mountain. We will hike through villages and interact with the local residents. Furthermore, we will have the opportunity to see chinchillas and vicuñas.
- After 3 hour hike, we will reach Alccataure (4,600m/15,092ft); where we will re-energize with lunch. After a satisfying lunch, we will begin our hike uphill to the first step.
- After 1 hour and half, we will follow Llama Trail to the Minasniyuq pass (4,980m/16,339ft). Here we will catch our first stunning views of the Rainbow Mountains. Then we will continue with a one hour downhill hike to our camp, Surine Cocha (4,800m/15,748ft).
- Overnight in camp.
- Meals Included: Lunch and Dinner.
Sunrise at Rainbow Mountain, Back to Cusco
- After breakfast we will hike gradually uphill for 2 hours until we reach the famous Rainbow Mountain (5,030m/16,498ft).
- The guide will explain what makes these mountains so unique: they are composed of various minerals, which make different colors of stone striations.
- As you pass through lush, emerald-colored valleys, you’ll be inspired by views of Ausangate Mountain standing like a god-carved monolith in the distance. Of course, all of this will lead up to the exciting moment when you first spot the colored minerals that formed the painted hills you’re walking through. This is truly a chance to stand in awe of Mother Nature’s handcrafted jewels. Your guide will explain the geological history of Rainbow Mountain as you approach its beauty.
- You will have a free time to rest and to take your pictures, then, we start to hike to the “Red Valley”, we call it like that for the red color of the mountain soil, they look pretty nice and you will find only a few people, this is a totally different experience, this will be other 2 hours walk downhill to arrive again in Phullawasipata (4626m/15,177ft) place where you will have lunch.
- After lunch you will take private transportation to Cusco. We will then drive 3 hours back to Cusco. Approximate arrival time to Cusco 18:00pm.
- Meals Included: Breakfast and Lunch.