- Tour Plan
- Similar Tours
Inca Quarry Trek is one of the newest trekking in Cusco
Based around the area around Ollantaytambo, the Inca Quarry trek takes you on a journey past high waterfalls, Inca ruins and stunning scenery. The overall distance hiked on this trek is 27 km the maximum altitude reached is 4,420 meters above sea level. As permits are not required for this trek, there are no restrictions as when you book your trip. Freedom is best, right? The hike will arrive to the Incan Ollantaytambo archeological village and ruins, where you will catch the train to Machu Picchu. On the last day you will visit the mysterious ¨Lost City of the Incas¨, better known as Machu Picchu. The undeniable benefits are its safety, the breath-taking scenery, as well as the opportunity to interact with local communities and to visit smaller and less known Inca archaeological sites.
- Crash course in Quechua and the opportunity to practice!
- Waterfall at the top of the valley.
- Opportunity to visit less-known ancient Incan sites.
- Cachiccata- once used as an ancient Incan quarry.
- Expert guide to get to know every nook and cranny of Machu Picchu!
- 24 hour support by our local staff
- Accommodation in Hotel with breakfast included
- Accommodation in personal tents (camping)
- All entrance fees and excursions mentioned in the itinerary
- All ground transportation
- All transfers airport, train station or bus station transfers, Hotel pickup and drop-off
- All transfers are assisted by English speaking staff
- Guided tours by local quality English speaking guides
- Meals: According mentioned in the itinerary (vegetarian or special diets are available)
- Train tickets
- Anything not specified in the itinerary description
- Domestic flight tickets
- Entrance fee to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain
- Guidance in other languages
- International flight tickets
- Other expenses of a personal nature (alcoholic beverages, laundry, etc.)
- Sleeping bag
- Tips for guides, drivers and other staff
- VISA procedures, travel insurance, pre and post tour accommodation
- Walking sticks
Trip code: IQM4D01
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
Transport to Ñaupa iglesia, Hike to Rayanniyoc
- You will be picked up from your hotel at 06:00am after which a private transport will take you on a 1.5 hour journey to Ñaupa Iglesia (2,900m/9,514ft) the starting point of our trek where we will meet with our muleteers
- Before to start the trek we visit Ñaupa Iglesia ceremonial site. After an approximately 2 hours walking we reach the local community of Socma (3,180m/10,433ft).
- Then we continue up the valley behind Socma passing through fields cultivated with potatoes, corn and quinoa, we will be able to see a variety of birds and native plant.
- After one hour walking we will arrive at a beautiful waterfall called Perolniyoc (3,500m/11,483ft); this is a perfect place to stop to take photos and rest. In this place we will have lunch. Then we will continue the walk towards the archaeological site of Raqaypata (3,600m/11,811ft); where we will stop to visit these ruins of the Incas.
- After a guided tour of the site we'll carry on a short distance to our campsite at Rayanniyoc (3,650m/11,975ft.), where we'll stop and re-charge for the day.
- Overnight in camp.
- Meals Included: Lunch and Dinner.
Hike from Rayanniyoc to Choquetacarpo
- This is the longest day of the trek- but all worth it! Setting out from our campsite, we'll continue to the valley, making our way to the first step on the trek. This area is still nurtured by the local people. Despite the high altitudes, we will be able to see native people caring for their fields. Furthermore, one of the few plants that seem to thrive at this altitude is a type of mint and the scent infuses the air throughout the morning. Today we will go through 2 steps.
- We will walk about 4 hours until we reach the first step called Puca Puccllu (4,390m/14,403ft.) where we will take a break to take in the panoramic view of the Sacred Valley of the Incas then we will walk a little more to have our lunch.
- After lunch we will continue to the second step called Boca Negro (4,420m/14,501ft); the highest point for this trekking. After that we will walk on a flat level and then descend to the archaeological site of Intihuatana (3,900m/12,795ft) from where we can appreciate and have a beautiful view of the snowy Veronica and Chicon.
- To an hour of hiking we will find the second camp Choquetacarpo (3,760m/12,336ft) where we will spend the night.
- Overnight in camp.
- Meals Included: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
Cachiccata Quarry and hike to Ollantaytambo || Train to Aguas Calientes
- The whole hike for today is downhill until Ollantaytambo (2,850m/9,359ft) around 4 hours walking; today we visit the Incan quarry of Cachiccata, where we witness the work the Incas could not complete due to the Spanish conquest.
- Today is dedicated to exploring Cachiccata quarry (3,500m/11,483ft). Despite its proximity to Ollantaytambo and the wide variety of interesting features, hardly anyone actually goes up there. Cachicata is an extensive site, once used as a quarry by the Incas to construct Ollantaytambo. There are several points of interest, including a number of large buildings, quarried stones left half-finished and abandoned throughout the site, Chullpas and a cave with Incan mummies still in place!.
- Then we will continue our way down the mountain following the original platform used for transporting the stones to Ollantaytambo, and later arrive to the town by midday. From Ollantaytambo, we'll take the train to Aguas Calientes (2,050m/6,726ft). At the Aguas Calientes Hotel, dinner and a comfortable bed will await us.
- Overnight at the Hotel in Aguas Calientes.
- Meals Included: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
Visit Machu Picchu & Back to Cusco
- Breakfast at the hotel; at 06:00am take first bus to Machu Picchu citadel, you will ride a bus to Machu Picchu archeological site (2,430m/7,972ft) and tour every nook and cranny of this New 7 Wonder of the World and UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site: an unforgettable experience. Your guide will expertly direct you throughout the astounding ruins and its main streets.
- Around 07:30am the guided tour begins, your guide will expertly direct you throughout the astounding ruins and its main streets. You can then wander around the town squares as well as climb the intricately carved stairways made of stone. Machu Picchu is considered to be the world’s spiritual center by esoteric wisdom.
- From 10:30am to 12:00pm once the guided tour is over, you will have some free time to explore the site on your own, relax, or meditate.
- From 12:30pm to 13:30pm take bus to Aguas Calientes.
- From 13:30pm to 15:00pm take lunch at local restaurant in Aguas Calientes.
- Return to Cusco: later board the train for the return trip to Cusco. You will stop at the Ollantaytambo Station and then be picked up and driven to your hotel in Cusco.
- Meals Included: Breakfast, Lunch.