- Tour Plan
- Similar Tours
Trek through the amazing Inca Trail towards Machu Picchu
Among the world’s top hikes is Classic Inca tour that leads you towards Machu Picchu. Essentially the Inca Trail is a mountainous forest hike leading to the holy Inca city of Machu Picchu. The massive 33km trek normally takes 4 days to complete, combining a remarkable mix of Inca remains, green cloud forest, mountain scenery and a vivid sub-tropical jungle. More than 250 orchid species have been discovered in the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu. Those who wish to conquer the challenging Inca Trail to Machu Picchu will require a certain degree of fitness. However, age shouldn’t obstruct your path. It is very essential to be properly acclimatized to this altitude.
- The Ultimate Trekking Adventure to the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.
- One of the most spectacular tours Inca Trail to Machu Picchu and the best package that Sun Gate Tours offers.
- Hike to the ancient ruins through the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu; you can proceed further and go to Machu Picchu if you wish.
- Increase your fun by camping along the ancient Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. Camping services are also offered on the Andean mountains as near to the top as you like.
- Step into Machu Picchu via the beautiful Sun Gate.
- 24 hour support by our local staff
- Accommodation in personal tents (camping)
- All entrance fees and excursions mentioned in the itinerary
- All ground transportation
- All transfers airport, train station or bus station transfers, Hotel pickup and drop-off
- All transfers are assisted by English speaking staff
- Guided tours by local quality English speaking guides
- Meals: According mentioned in the itinerary (vegetarian or special diets are available)
- Train tickets
- Domestic flight tickets
- Entrance fee to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain
- Guidance in other languages
- International flight tickets
- Other expenses of a personal nature (alcoholic beverages, laundry, etc.)
- Sleeping bag
- Tips for guides, drivers and other staff
- VISA procedures, travel insurance, pre and post tour accommodation
- Walking sticks
Sun Gate Tours has more options to do the Classic Inca Trail Tour and here you the best options to recommend you as trek fans. Because Cusco has a lot of options to do tourism and not also the well know Inca Trail treks. That’s why we recommend you Ausangate Trek, Choquequirao Trek, or the stunning Rainbow Mountain trek which you can customize with other alternatives like Sacred Valley, Cusco City Tour, or perhaps Machu Picchu, depends on which alternative do you want to know most and request the exact itinerary with us and do it.
For that reason, we offer more routes in Peru to do unforgettable tours with us and here you have the best options to do it.
- Classic Inca Trail Private Tour
- Short Inca Trail
- Absolute Inca Trail
- Thrilling Short Inca Trail 5 Days
- Inca Trail & Amazon Basin
- Inca Trail & Lake Titicaca
- Ultimate Inca Trail
- Huchuy Qosqo & Short Inca Trail 4 Days
Trip code: CITM4D01-GR
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
Transfer to Km 82, Hike to Huayllabamba
- Pick up from the hotel at 05:00am and transfer to the head of the Inca Trail at Piscacucho, Km 82 (2,850m/9,350ft) where we will meet the porters. The car trip from Cusco to Piscacucho takes around 3 hours. Our vehicle usually stops at the town of Ollantaytambo on the way for about an hour so that people can have breakfast.
- We begin our trek of the Inca Trail by crossing the suspended bridge over the Urubamba River. We then hike on the shore, left of the Urubamba River as it runs northwest towards the Sacred Valley. We will continue on a flat surface to Miskay. As we continue on we will have the opportunity for an aerial panoramic view the inspiring Inca City of Llactapata from a vista adjacent to these amazing Ruins.
- Resuming our trek through the valley, carved out by River Kusichaca, we will begin our ascent for around five hours until we arrive at the archaeological site of Huayllabamba (3,000m/9,840ft) where we will camp for the night. Throughout the journey we will enjoy the extravagant sights of the fantastic Vilcanota ridge which is located on the far side of Urubamba River. The imposing Veronica peak looms over us standing tall at (5,832m/19,134ft) over sea level. The first day of the Trail is simple and offers sufficient training for the days ahead.
- Overnight in camp.
- Meals Included: Lunch and Dinner.
From Huayllabamba to Paqaymayu (Crossing the highest point)
- This day is without a doubt the toughest and highest in terms of altitude on the trail, which includes a sudden and sheer ascent that goes on for about 11 km, so inexperienced hikers are allowed time to settle in. We recommend that you make special preparations for this day by packing your day bag with plenty of chocolates or candies to keep your blood sugar level high and curb the threat of altitude sickness.
- After breakfast we will begin our demanding day with a sharp climb to the Warmi wañusca Pass, also called the Dead Woman´s Pass (4,200m/13,776ft). Along this path, the surroundings begin to transform to a mountainous terrain where we may see local alpacas and llamas grazing on the Ichu grass.
- We will continue downhill from here using a winding path that bypasses a valley beside our next campsite. We will also go by an area known as the cloud forest, a habitat for various species of birds such as sparrows, hummingbirds and also the Andean bear better known as the Spectacled Bear.
- After 6 hours of trekking we will descend into the valley of Paqaymayu (3,500m/11,480ft) where we will find our campsite. You will enjoy a wonderful meal and rest after an exhausting day
- Overnight in camp.
- Meals Included: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
Paqaymayu to Wiñay Wayna (Descending into the Cloud Forest)
- After Breakfast we will make our way along the longest and most remarkable part of the trail. The presence of numerous archaeological sites as well as the green cloud forest and the rich presence of Andean flora and fauna will take your breath away. We will make our way from Paqaymayu to Abra Runkurakay, the second pass (3,955m/12,975ft).
- Midway along the Inca trail, you will come upon the remains of Runkurakay, a semi-circular Inca domicile overlooking the Paqaymayu valley. After a short visit we make our way into the Cloud Forest to the Archaeological site of Sayacmarca where you will have a chance to explore. Continuing the hike we will approach the third mountain pass at Abra Phuyupatamarca (3700m/12136ft) and descend to the archaeological site of Phuyupatamarca, also known as “The Town in the Clouds" where you will have a chance to explore this astounding Inca vestige.
- Next, we will make our way down a long stone stair case that will lead us to Wiñay Wayna (2,700m/8,858ft), an inspiring Inca center consisting of a thriving agricultural complex, an urban sector and a religious hub in close proximity of our camp. Wiñayhuayna becomes the last official camp before Machu Picchu. Ensure that you are well rested so that you wake up in time to catch the marvelous sunrise at Machu Picchu.
- Overnight in camp.
- Meals Included: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
Hike to Sun Gate, Visit Machu Picchu Sanctuary & Back to Cusco
- At around 04:00am you will get up, have breakfast and continue on the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. This is the last part of the journey so we will arrive to the Sun Gate by 06:00am.
- Out of the blue every part of Machu Picchu will materialize before your eyes stuttering with its immense beauty - an incredible sight for all to see. The sight is overwhelming and you can imagine what the ancient Inca must have perceived after their taxing expedition to this expansive temple. At this point we move downhill towards Machu Picchu (2,430m/7,972ft), after a period of 40 minutes we will enter the citadel through the “House of the Guardians”.
- We then proceed to the control point where we register and leave our belongings.
- At 08:00am the guided tour begins, your guide will expertly direct you throughout the astounding ruins and its main streets. You can then wander around the town squares as well as climb the intricately carved stairways made of stone. Machu Picchu is considered to be the world’s spiritual center by esoteric wisdom.
- From 10:30am to 12:00pm once the guided tour is over, you will have some free time to explore the site on your own, relax, or meditate.
- From 12:00 to 13:00pm take bus to Aguas Calientes.
- Lunch on your own.
- Return to Cusco: later board the train for the return trip to Cusco. You will stop at the Ollantaytambo Station and then be picked up and driven to your hotel in Cusco.
- Meals Included: Breakfast.